I have had the idea for these mitts in my head for a while and finally said, I am just going to make them, and suss out the pattern.
These mitts would look great in any yarn of a comparable weight, DK or worsted. Solid would look good as well as a slightly variegated. This yarn by Rowan is affordable and wonderful if you want a solid. This absolutely gorgeous Muse Hand-painted is also affordable would work well if you held it doubled.
Check out my Simple Mitts here: Simple Mitts.
Yarn: Hedgehog Fibres DK (I used Budgie), or other variegated worsted/DK weight yarn.
Needles: Us size six, or size needed to obtain gauge. Set of DPNs or needles long enough for magic loop. I prefer magic loop. These are my absolute favorite needles for magic loop.
Notions: Stitch holder, needle to weave in ends, tape measure, stitch markers.
– Co 33 sts, and join to begin working in the round being careful not to twist. PM to indicate beginning of round.
Work k1p1 ribbing for one inch or desired length of cuff.
– Next: K6, P2, k3, P3, K2, P1, K2, P3, K3 P2, K to end of round. Repeat this round four more times, for a total of five.
– K6, P2, K3, P3, K2, pm, m1, p1, m1, pm, K2, P3, K3, P2, K to end of round
– Work two rounds, knitting the knits and purling the purls. Knit the made stitches.
– Next: Work in pattern to marker, sm, m1, work in pattern to m, m1, sm, work in pattern to end of round.
– Next: Work in pattern to m, sm, k1, p3, k1, sm, work in pattern to end of rnd.
– Repeat last three rounds until there are a total of 15 sts between markers. Going forward, knit all of the made stitches.
– Work in pattern for two rounds.
– Work in pattern to m, remove marker, put next 15 sts on holder or scrap yarn, remove. marker, CO one stitch, work in pattern to end of round
– k6, P2, k3, P3, K5, P3, K3 P2, K to end of round. Work in pattern from pervious rn all rounds for 1 ¼ inches
Work in k1p1, one inch.
Bo in pattern
Put sts from holder onto two needles. Pick up 1 stitch between needles, (side closest to hand) k to end of round. 16 sts
Next: k2tog, p to end of round. 15 sts.
Work k1p1 for 1/2 inch. Bo in pattern
Weave in all ends, remembering to close any holes formed near thumb. Enjoy!
The fine print:
Pattern and images © Natalie Gonzalez & Nantucket Knitter, 2020. Please do not reproduce and redistribute pattern. If you would like to sell items from this pattern, please click here.
Any questions, comments, or concerns? Feel free to email me at firstname.lastname@example.org!
work in pattern – knit the knits and purl the purls
PM – Place marker // SM – slip marker // K – knit // P – purl // Co – cast on // Bo – bind off // sts – stitches // m1 – make one // m – marker
This post contains affiliate links.
Some great yarns for this project (remember sock yarn can be held double):